UML Spaghetti Diagram? Sometimes, the UML Class Diagram in SciTools Understand can be too much or too little. We explain how you can control the what classes are displayed by using Architecture.
With SciTools Understand you can only display the UML Diagram for a single class or struct and its dependencies or the entire list of Classes in the project. There is no way to select a list of classes to be displayed.
The Solution is to create an architecture that contains all the files that define the classes you want to see on your UML graph. With a custom plugin, you will be able to create a UML Diagram that will show only those classes.
How it works?
We have created a new plugin for SciTools Understand using the PERL API based on the UML Class Diagram plugin. With it, you will have a new option available “UML Class Diagram w Architecture” that works exactly the same way than the “UML Class Diagram”, except it offers a new option that let you select what architecture is displayed. Only the classes in the selected architecture will be displayed.
Simply right click in the “Grey Area” and select what architecture to displayed, limiting what classes show up.
Step by Step Instructions
- Obtain the script “uml_class_w_architecture.upl” from us.
- drag and drop the file into an SciTools Understand window.
- The Menu “UML Class Diagram w Architecture” should now be available where the “UML Class Diagram” menu is.
- Create an architecture (let’s say it is named “UMLArchitecture“) that contains all the .h and the .cpp files that contains the classes you want to create the UML graph for.
- Select the “UML Class Diagram w Architecture” from the Graphs>>Project Graph menu.
- Right click in the grey area and select Architecture>>”UMLArchitecture“.
- Only the selected classes should displayed.